Friday, July 9, 2010

More on Friendship


I'm well known as someone who's not really into trends in technology. I don't Twitter, I have a Blackberry with no data plan, and I don't need to have a movie at my fingertips. That said, I do have a Facebook account. Lately, as I've been thinking about friendships, relationships, and family, I have been thinking a lot about what technology has done to how we feel about ourselves and our peers.

I have friends on my Facebook that I have never met and probably will never meet. People who I have "met" through message boards and connected through common interests: Disney, cooking, married and childfree, etc. I also have friends who simply live far from me and Facebook helps me stay in touch.

But keeping with the spirit of my last blog post, I have been thinking a lot about relationships that could do with a little work. I'm really disturbed by how Facebook has taken the face and the person away. It's as if certain people who are important in my life have sadly become labeled my "Facebook" friend. We never talk, we never share pictures, we never call each other, we never go out and do anything. It's all contained in a nice little box on Facebook.

I made a comment to a friend recently that I would delete my account in a second if it weren't for Farmville. Bless my heart, I just got sucked in and it's one of my guilty pleasures while drinking my morning coffee. It makes me wonder if all my "Facebook relationships" would just fizzle out and die.

So why have a Facebook friendship? Is it easy? Convenient? Handy? Easier than picking up the phone? Easier than bringing over a photo album? Saves you from having to look another person in the eye? Is it a way to keep people from seeing you vulnerable? Is it pure laziness? I refuse to join the club of, "Oh, that's just how people communicate these days." It's heartbreaking to me the people that live so close to me who only communicate with me through Facebook. And you no what? I'm no better than the folks I'm complaining about. I just posted as my status a whine that no one reads my blog. How juvenile and self-serving is that? It falls under the category of things I would never say to a person's face but I will say it on the internet.

I hate labels. I truly do. But putting aside the family and friendships made simpler through Facebook due to distance, it really makes me question a lot of things. Are you my friend, or my Facebook friend? Just what part do I play in your life, and do you play in mine?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Lindsay, what can you do with a blackberry with no data plan? Doesn't that just make it a phone?

I have lots of gadgets and technology, but I don't have a dishwasher! :-/

Cass

Kitty Kitten said...

Cass,
I bought it mainly for the calendar! :-) My contract has expired so I got it really cheap. Not to mention my other phone had broken into two pieces so I had to buy a new one anyway.

Anonymous said...

I keep my Facebook for the games....and keeping in touch with family.

I'm not overly fond of some of my family....so contact through Facebook is more than enough for me ;-)


~Kelly~

Anonymous said...

I agree Lins that it is a hindrance to live, in your face, communication. BUT....there are some people that I don't really WANT to be that "in your face" with! LOL! It has its pros and cons....however, I know there are people that I would NEVER still be in contact with if I didn't have Facebook. I feel we should decide which relationships are key and work on not allowing those to fall into the Facebook void!

Team Chastain said...

Yeah...social networking has replaced actual socializing in many lives. :/
Great post!

Tania said...

i was thinking about this, and i think for me, it has brought me into relationships with people i wouldn't have had the chance to otherwise, and keep up with happenings. but mostly i do facebook with friends i've met on the internet, or who don't live near me. My friends who live near me i dont' really do facebook stuff with, and for a long time, i purposely didn't invite anyone as a friend. why is that i wonder? i think it is because there is a different kind of freedom i feel with some of my internet friends that i don't feel with my friends or family or acquaintances that are in my life here where i live, so i'd rather keep it a little separate. interesting thinking about it all.

Anonymous said...

I only have a blackberry to look cool (at least that's what my daughter says)

I only used a tiny percent of the possible applications. :-/

Cass