Monday, November 25, 2013

My Definition of Accessibility

Since we just got back from vacation, I thought I would take a few minutes and do a blog about accessibility, at least from a hotel standpoint. Good accessibility, having EVERYTHING I need, is the main reason I love staying at Coronado Springs Resort so much.

We will start off with the golden throne. A toilet is a toilet and I really don't need anything special in that respect, but I always appreciate hand rails. It makes transfers smoother.

And yes, there is a book in there. I read in the bathroom, so sue me.

The main area of accessibility for me in hotels is the shower. This resort has the best setup, as far as I'm concerned. Here she is:



This, my friends, is what is called a roll-in shower with a bench seat. I didn't get a picture of it, but the seat actually folds up against the wall so you can get it out of the way. In the top picture, you can see that there's not a traditional shower head up there, but instead there is a hand-held shower spray. Most of the time, you get handles with good water pressure. Unfortunately, this room did not. No big deal, it just meant longer showers and that's fine by me. The only downside to that is it takes forever to wash my hair when the water pressure isn't hot. That said, this is the first time in 11 trips that we'd had this problem.

The bathrooms are the main point of contention with accessibility. Most of time, the doors are wide and there's plenty of room to get around easily in the room. So, you want to know what I look for in hotel rooms, this is it. 

Wow, that was extremely boring! How about a goofy picture to end with?



No comments: