Thursday, November 14, 2013

Are you Mr. Sulu?

Ok, as promised, here's the long story of how Scott and I met the legendary Mr. George Takei while vacationing in Disney World.

It all began the Monday of our trip. While strolling around our resort, the lovely Coronado Springs...




...we passed two Orange County cops on bicycles. We found that odd, since we never see cops on property, just Disney security. When we returned to our room, Scott looked up the conference schedule for the resort, since it's also a convention center. He discovered that the keynote speaker for one of the conferences was Hillary Rodham Clinton. That explained the cops. He then laughed and told me to go check Facebook. I looked and saw George Takei posting pictures from the Magic Kingdom. That alone was pretty cool, being in Disney World at the same time he was. He was speaking at the same conference.

The next day we were eating lunch at The Pepper Market. I just happened to look over Scott's shoulder and saw him. I told Scott, "Don't look now, but I'm pretty sure that's George Takei sitting back there eating." Of course, he whipped around like a weather vane and confirmed it was him and his husband, Brad. I grabbed my phone and headed over to say hello. Scott, no kidding, said, "What?!?!? You're not!" Of course, I was! This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet Mr. Sulu! I was going, with or without him!

We walked over to them. As I approached the two of them I said, like the dork I am, "Excuse me, but are you George Takei?" *face palm* Not my proudest moment. Anyway, he confirmed and I went on to gush about what fans we were and how awesome it was to meet them both. He asked where we were from and he spent the next several minutes talking to us about how much he enjoyed Chattanooga. I then asked if he minded us getting a picture with him. Brad happily took it, we thanked them, and off we went.

I then became a total fangirl and started texting everyone I knew, including my dad, who I knew would be very jealous :-) I had heard that George was very nice to the fans and always willing to chat, and boy, was that the truth. He was so kind and so easy to talk to.

And that's the story of how we meet George Takei while in Disney World! Oh myyyyy!

Of all days for me to be in vacation mode: hair up, no makeup, shorts...ugh. I could have at LEAST popped on some lip gloss, right? :-)

1 comment:

Kevin Dunn said...

Very Cool!