I am known for taking on challenges. Well, more correctly, taking on challenges to prove people wrong. Those are my favorite kind. Like I've written about before, I am quite aware of my limitations and have made my peace with them. But man, oh, man. Nothing chaps my tush like someone questioning me about something I am planning to do.
I guess I really got defensive about this back in 2010. My church moved from downtown Cleveland to a new location. After our final service in the building, we walked from our old building to the new one, roughly 4 miles away. I was mentioning my intentions to some people close to me and they were stunned. "Seriously? You can't push yourself that far," was their response. So what did I do? I had to walk it to prove them wrong.
More recently, I was in a 5K that our church hosted. Again, I got a lot of flack for signing up for that one. "You can't do that. Seriously?" Yeah, seriously, I did. I'm not gonna lie about it, I was extremely proud of that one.
So why I am horn tooting? Some of the best motivation for me is the old reliable, "Don't tell me what I can't do!!!" Although a lot of the times I wish people would keep their "amazement" and doubt to themselves, but whatever. I do apologize, I know this is extremely cheesy, but I was watching something about "Lost" the other day and got to thinking about Locke's character and how it infuriated him to be told he couldn't do something. I totally understood that. I guess sometimes I get a little too much joy out of proving people wrong.
Don't tell me what I can't do!

1 comment:
Anyone who's ever said 'you can't do that' to you obviously doesn't know you too well! I still remember you playing center in our powder puff football game. :-) I'd love for you to come visit us here in the UK. Perhaps I should tell you that you can't visit? ;-)
Post a Comment