Today I am thankful for something that has quite a bit of a back story. The short of it is, I am thankful for compliments that come at the most unexpected times and are given at a time when you need them the most.
Over the past 7 months I have lost a lot of weight. Tired of being a fat stereotype, I got my little tush in gear and got the weight off. I started eating better and made the gym my second home. That said, I still struggle with the image I see in the mirror. I still just see a fat girl staring back at me. A friend at the gym reassured me that this is perfectly normal; that we see ourselves everyday and don't see the little differences other people do. I will admit I am my worst critic and can be very hard on myself.
Ok, all that said, I received a message on Facebook yesterday that absolutely made my day. It was from my friend, Michele, who lives in Myrtle Beach. The two of us have the exact same spinal cord injury and have been injured the same amount of years. A few years ago, SHE got her rear in gear, lost a ton of weight herself and looks positively amazing. I was always inspired by her and I've thought of her often during my journey.
Anyway, she sent me a very kind message telling me I looked awesome and was doing a great job. Also, the girl looks absolutely awesome and we are currently the same size. That told me I was doing something right. She sent me this message clear out of the blue at a time where I needed it so badly. Her words really helped me get re-centered and back on a more positive track about myself. Today, I am thankful for random words from people that can totally change our outlook.
That being said, how about some pictures of my progress so far?
Christmas 2011:
Christmas 2012:
March 2012 vs. November 2012
December 2011 vs. December 2012
December 2005 (pardon my mushroom hair)
February 2013
January 2013
January 2013
My journey is far from over; I still have some more weight to lose. I will blog more about my journey as the weight comes off. But I want to publicly thank Michele for her kind words and reminding me how far I've come. The proof is in the pictures, right?



1 comment:
Aw man!! This touched my heart, Lindsay!! Thank you! I meant it when I said you look AMAZING! You can see it in the new sleep lines of your neck, collarbones, and jawline especially. Also, you probably already know that even as you continue to work out and those times come when the scale does not move, you are still changing shape. I learned this first hand after being so angry at the scale for staying stuck at 146 forever...but photos showed the changes in shapes (in hindsight!) -- My ultimate goal was 125, but I have slowed down a lot now that I am in the 130's -- I feel pretty good and figure I need a little padding on my behind! LOL It takes SO LONG for us to stop looking for the fat girl in the mirror. Body dysmorphic disorder is REAL and I believe most women who have gained and lost weight suffer with it to one degree or another. Stay strong...always make the ultimate goal your health and not your size. HUGS!!
Post a Comment