Monday, March 25, 2013

An Update On My Journey

As I've blogged about before, a little less than a year ago, I started my journey on getting into better shape. Since then, I have gone down 6 jeans sizes and 3 shirt sizes. Not too shabby, huh? I still have little more I want to lose, but as far as numbers go, I have one more jeans size to go before I will happy to just maintain what I've lost. I have no way of weighing myself to see how much I have lost, so I have to rely on how my clothes are fitting.

I made a few drastic changes to get this weight off. I took a hard look at what I ate too much of and what I indulged in most often. I discovered the things I loved and ate way too often were pasta and sugar. I have a bad sweet tooth and could have easily eaten dessert every day. So I gave up sugar. That one was really difficult as it made me very grouchy for a few weeks, but I eventually felt better. As far as the pasta goes, that one was even tougher. Pasta was a comfort food for me and I cooked some form of it about twice a week. Not to mention, I make a killer spaghetti sauce. I do allow myself brown rice every now and then, but rice is not something I gorged on, so that was easy to cut back on.

Those are the foods I cut out of my diet to get my weight off. I don't crave sugar anymore, but I will admit to craving spaghetti every now and then. Someday I may incorporate some whole wheat pasta back into my diet, but it's working for me now. I satisfy my need for something sweet with fruits like Granny Smith apples and navel oranges.

Another way I've gotten in shape is going to the gym, obviously. In addition to using the handcycle and weight training, I go to spin class. A trainer at the gym moved my handcycle to the spin room and I started going to class. You want to talk about a killer workout? This is it! Even on a handcycle, it has done wonders for me. I try to get to the gym 3 times a week, squeezing a class in there as often as I can.

So there you have it. That's how I've done it. I have come a very long way and am very proud of myself. Any questions or comments are welcome. Yes, I was very fat, but not anymore! Here are some more pictures for you to see my progress.






(I am REALLY proud of this one!)

Folks, I have been overweight my whole adult life. Losing all this weight has truly made me a new person. I feel beautiful for the first time and it's a wonderful feeling, for sure! I am proof positive that anyone can lose weight if they just commit to do it.

No comments: