Monday, January 7, 2019

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back *le sigh*

I never, EVER had intentions to make this blog a source to write about my disability. That was never my goal. But lately it seems like I am facing more issues not only with people, but with businesses. I feel that in 2019, basic accessibility in public places should be a done deal. Sadly, this is not the case.

I came into my local Starbucks with the intention of blogging. I didn't blog much at all last year and I miss it. Anyway, as I came into the store, I realized I hadn't actually been inside in awhile, just gone through the drive-thru. (You know my sitting and chilling heart belongs to Lasaters, but I digress.) My mouth dropped open as I came in and looked for a place to set up my laptop.


It may not be evident to the average eye looking at the room without being here, so let me explain. There were 4 tables in the store that were accessible, but they were all taken. The rest of the store had been filled with 2 long rectangular tables instead. HIGH tables with stools, no less. Oooooook, I thought. Having no choice, I set up at the end of the table. I ended up sitting to the left of the man in the orange sweater. I make the best of what I've got. Here begins my frustration.





These pictures show the problem. My laptop is in front of me, my webcam at eye level with me. I'm typing on my laptop just a few inches shorter than shoulder level.

Starbucks, I ask you, in what world was this a good idea?! It isn't like I came in here and every available table was taken and I had nowhere to set up. Nothing at all wrong with that. You've made 50% of your establishment inaccessible to wheelchair users! A ton of other wheelchair users have chairs much more closer to the ground than mine. If they wanted to come in and use their laptop, they couldn't. Starbucks. A coffeehouse. Yes, the long, high table makes it possible to fit more people in here. The idea was spot-on, the end result just not wheelchair friendly. 🤦🏻‍♀️x 1,000,000

See you tomorrow, Lasaters. I won't be back inside this Starbucks until these high tables are gone.

No comments: