Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Secret to Relaxation

I love to unwind with a cup of hot tea in the evenings. Not coffee, believe it or not. After years of drinking it, I have developed a process. It's all about flavoring the water, not the cup of tea. I thought I'd share it with you.

Note: This recipe will make a good amount of tea. Adjust the amounts to however many cups you want.

Lindsay's Relaxation Tea

4 cups water (use filtered if you can, it makes a HUGE difference in your coffee and tea)
1/4 cup good honey (I eyeball this)
Zest of 1 good lemon (I use a vegetable peeler for this. Slice up the rest of the lemon for your tea.)
  -I usually have oranges in the house so I sometimes add the zest from those
  -I will also use limes if I have them as well
1/2 inch of peeled, fresh ginger root*

Combine all of this in a small pot. I usually get to just below boiling and turn it down. I let it steep for a few minutes to make sure I get all of the flavor out of the ginger and zest. Make sure the honey is well incorporated. Remove the zest(s) and ginger and discard. Pour over your teabag of choice, add some lemon/lime/orange juice, sweeten if you desire, and voilĂ ! My tea!

My favorite teas are the following:





 I also enjoy Tevana teas, but that stuff is mega expensive!

Let me know if you give this a try :-)

*A note about the ginger. I buy it in HUGE amounts. I peel it and slice it into the desired lengths/amounts I want it, and then pop it in the freezer. Ginger goes bad very quickly, but if you freeze it this way, it lasts forever. Pop it out when you need it and let it steep in your tea, grate it into your dishes, whatever. I love ginger and always have some on hand.



No comments: