Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thankful Thursday 1-10-13

As I've explained in a recent blog, I have been a paraplegic since I was child. Growing up disabled, especially my teen years, could be very hard. One thing I have struggled with over the years is people treating me with kid gloves. I know most folks are well intentioned, but being infantilized is quite demeaning.

That being said, today I am extremely thankful for the people in my life that treat me like an adult, an equal. I have gotten to be friends with some amazing people who I have so much respect for. I really try hard to not incorporate my disability in conversation unless someone brings it up, but I sometimes want to thank these people for the respect they give me by, like I said above, treating me as an equal.

It's really hard to explain, but people are generally afraid of things they don't understand. Obvious disabilities, like mine, are one of them. Some people are just ill-at-ease around me. It's gotten a little easier now that I'm clearly not a child anymore, but I still have my encounters. Sometimes they can really throw me for a loop. One step forward, two steps back, if you will.

I've really been trying to count my blessings this new year and take stock of all the the awesome things in my life. This is one of these things I just need to be quietly thankful for because if I shared my feelings with my friends, I doubt I could get through it without crying, and if you know me well, you know I absolutely hate for people to see me cry. I was driving home today thinking about this and honestly was overcome. Being recognized for your talents and abilities, and being appreciated for who and what you are and not simply being treated like the elephant in the room is something I appreciate so much.

It puts a smile on my face to know that a few of the people I'm thinking about while writing this will read my blog. I say a prayer that blessings will be returned to them for the kindness they have shown me.

No comments: