Scott and I usually eat out on Saturdays. Lately, I have been noticing an interesting trend.
I like to observe other married couples and take note of how they interact. While at breakfast the other morning, I mentioned my observations to Scott. He took a moment to look around and saw what I was talking about. This spawned an interesting conversation that I just had to blog about.
I don't know that I have ever seen a time where there are so many married couples who don't talk to each other. I was looking around the restaurant and noticing people just staring into space at nothing, look completely bored out of their minds, or worse, just sitting and playing with their phones the entire sitting.
I genuinely want to know: what has happened to people? Why don't people engage anymore? What has happened to the institution of marriage that two people can't enjoy a meal together? An air of "whatever" has somehow permeated so many married couples and I want to know why.
I totally get how there are just quiet people out there and they just don't have much to say. No crime there. My husband is generally a quiet person. However, when we are out, we are conversing. We talk about a ton of things: life, love, family, vacations, work, etc. Scott and I never seem to reach a lull in our conversations (except, of course, when we are stuffing our faces). It just seems to me that a happily married couple sitting in a restaurant together would enjoy their time together and not look like they hate the world and everyone in it.
I don't know. Maybe it's just a sign of the times. Maybe people just don't talk anymore and that's just they way it is. But when we are a part of a generation where people are on their second and third marriages before they turn 30, I have to ask, "What's going on?"
Sadly, I notice the same things when kids are a part of the mix. The kids are thrown an electronic device du jour and left to do their own thing. No engaging, no conversation. Why? The parents don't talk to them, interact with them, and just generally treat them like they are annoying flies and must be shooed away.
I strive to be the change I wish to see in the world. I would appreciate some thoughts and insights on this topic. Married couples, why are you so unhappy? You aren't? Well, you sure do look like it.

No comments:
Post a Comment