Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dinner and a Movie...for 20?

Recently Scott and I had a whole week off. We'd been looking forward to it for a long time. Time to get some errands done, time to relax, and time to just be together. We began our vacation with a nice meal and headed to Chattanooga to see "The Avengers."

We walked into our theater complete with popcorn and drinks, and came to a dead stop. The bottom two rows behind the handicapped seating* were marked, "Reserved for birthday." We both muttered, "Oh, crap." Our only consolation was that since it was "The Avengers," a PG-13 movie, that the kids would obviously be older and we most likely wouldn't notice them. 

We arrived early, so we had some time to kill. Scott and I got a kick out of what people said as they walked in and saw the reserved seats. Our "oh crap" was very tame compared to some of the things people said. A couple of people stalked out immediately, I assume to complain. I didn't think it would do any good to complain, so we just settled down and got ready for the movie.

As the lights began to dim and the trailers started, here they came. Around 20 kids between the ages of 4-7 began to march in. I don't think my mouth has ever dropped so far, so fast before. I was dumbfounded that any parent thought it would be a good idea to bring a child these ages to this movie, let alone have a birthday party at the theater and see this particular movie.

The movie was quite an experience. There was a almost constant chorus of talking, giggling, "I need to go to the bathroom. You go with me!" "I don't want to." "Yes!" "No!" "I've gotta go!" Then after a loud, action-packed scene was over, the kids did a production of, "Did you see THAT?" "Oooooooh now it's all QUIET!" *giggle, giggle, giggle*

Over and over and over again.

After the movie was over, the kids filed out. We both breathed a sigh of relief. We stayed put to see if there was anything after the credits. An adult came back into the theater with one of the kids and went back to their seats, using his cell phone to light his way. Apparently the kid had left something behind. When the credits were done and the lights came up, that's when my jaw dropped again. Before the movie started, the theater staff brought popcorn/drink combos to each of the kids in a little divided box. Each one of these kids left their popcorn, drinks, and containers there for the staff to throw away. What the heck?! These parents/chaperones left a HUGE mess for the theater to clean up. Not to mention, that one adult came back and didn't even attempt to gather up any trash as he left.

Come on, people. Are you kidding me? First, you bring extremely small children to a very inappropriate movie. Second, you allow them to behave like heathens the entire show. Third, you don't teach them to clean up after themselves. Seriously?

I love movies. I love GOING to the movies. But it's yahoo parents like these that make me never want to go back. I beg you, parents, please please PLEASE have a little consideration for other moviegoers. And if you don't, have a little thought for the kids. This was NOT an age-appropriate movie for them to be attending. I don't care what you say, it simply wasn't.

We are going to go see "Snow White and the Huntsman" this weekend. I can only hope and pray parents have taken two seconds to note that this isn't the Snow White we all grew up watching. Maybe...

And just because I can't help myself:


*For those of you who don't know me that well, you may be asking why we didn't move so we wouldn't have to sit right in front of them. Well, I am a paraplegic and this theater had stadium seating. There was nowhere for me to move to. Thanks!*


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Sorry you had a bad experience. I would have shared the same opinion. It's too bad that some people can't seem to have a thought or care about anyone other than themselves.